Configuring Backup Exec 2010 R3 and IBM TS3200 Tape Library Configuration

BackupExec 2010 R3

*This is a repost of a older blog post on my personal WordPress site*

Sometimes you think “This should be pretty simple” and “I know how Backup Exec works, I’ve configured it dozens of times in the past”, but you know what? You’re wrong!

Adding a tape library really makes a big difference compared to how you would normally configure a 1 tape drive system.

While I’m not going to go into all the configuration details in this blog (that’s something to go through in my technical blog), I’m going to state a couple of things that should maybe make sense but don’t always.

TS3100 and TS3200 have 2 different modes for controlling the medium changer, those are;

  1. Random
  2. Sequential

Random should be set when you want the software to control the medium changer and Sequential when you want the hardware to manager the changer. Makes sense right? Yeah I though so too. Having it set to sequential will make the medium changer disappear from Windows device manager as well so that’s something to keep in mind (it needs to be in Windows device manager for Backup Exec to see it).

While it may not happen for everyone, I also experienced what happens when you have the Eject tape after completion option ticked in Backup Exec 2010 R3, and that is it causes the library to lock up and needs a reboot to get it back into working order. Great huh? Granted that the device doesn’t have a mechanism for ejecting the tapes out of the library, but seriously.

Having a bad tape in the library also caused it to lock up and become unresponsive, so that’s another trip to the server room and a reboot of the library.

Now that I have ironed out these errors and I understand how it all works, I can say with %100 confidence that the system is running correctly. I just need to clean out the old media sets and make sure that the correct tapes backup at the correct time. Once all the tapes go through there first run it should all be fine.

All in all, throughout all the frustration and stress due to production backups not working properly at least I can say that at least I learnt from the experience I will definitely know for the future.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please let me know by leaving a message or hitting me up on twitter.

Titan Solutions



We have a IBM UPS 3000XHV here at work which had an old battery what was discharging every night, sometimes several times a night.

After some research I found out that the battery was about 4 years old and thus needed to be replaced. This is were the fun started….

This UPS is a re-branded APC UPS so finding what type of replacement battery I need should be easy right? No. Giving the model, part number and serial number to IBM I was told that the serial number is wrong, the part number is too short and that they just plain old cant find any information about it in the system.

Over to APC who does recognise the internal serial number (which is the serial number that is displayed through the UPS web page) but as its an IBM I need to purchase the battery through them.

Back over to IBM, at this stage I got a photo of the IBM sticker that lists the S/N, P/N and the M/T Mod, only at this stage did they acknowledge that its a IBM product but are still unable to explain why its in the system.

I then purchased the battery from them, when it arrived, it was in a APC box anyway!

Installing the UPS wasn’t a big problem at all and took literally 5 minutes, and I was able to achieve this during a scheduled outage to move our server room onto essential services for the building instead of the microwave and kettle.

All in all, I have learnt that even IBM sometimes need photographic proof of there own hardware, before beliving that the customer isn’t just calling them for the fun of it.

For future reference the battery needed for an IBM UPS 3000XHV is a RBC43

APC Installation RBC43